Yeah, OK – meatloaf is stupidly easy, but I’ve messed it up in the past by not using enough meat (yes, really) or crackers. Consider this my personal aide memoire.
- 800g pack of mince
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 chopped onion or 3 chopped shallots
- 10 Jacobs crackers, crushed finely
- salt, pepper and any other spices deemed appropriate. Oregano or rosemary next time, perhaps?
For the top:
Heat in a small saucepan:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- good squeeze of American mustard or 1 tsp powdered mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- dash of worchester sauce
Mix the meatloaf ingredients well and press into a loafpan. Cover the top with the sauce and place in a 175 degree oven for about an hour. Must be served with mash and brown gravy and the leftovers chilled and sliced for sandwiches. There’s no point if you don’t make enough for sandwiches the next day!
This version makes 3 suppers and 3 sandwiches. Sandwiches should be served on thick white bloomer with mayonnaise. All vitally important.
I saw another recipe that used sausage as well, which could be rather nice. Will try this next time.